Friendly greetings! I am TORLEY.
I make sonic science fiction*Do something now that your future self will thank you for.
Listen to these (mostly) short sound stories with massive melodies and vibrant arrangements. I’ve discovered them from alternate realities, in an ongoing research project to expand the edges of expressive electronic music.
What have I been creating?
- SOUND DEMOS – “String Machine Theory“, a most triumphant arrangement spanning the history of synthesized strings, featuring UVI String Machines 2.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Lush Eighteen” – “45 presets & multis used and weaved into a stunning composition with 100% all Luftrum 18 sounds.” to show off this collaboration between Luftrum + Arksun.
- EDUCATION – “Intel and the Smithsonian American Art Museum Power Education through Immersive Virtual Reality” in Sansar. Composed the piano music and produced the video.
- SOUND DEMOS – Preset showcase demo’ing 39 of 100 new sounds for super synth UVI Falcon 1.5.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Audacious Illuminator“, full of anime/J-Pop sparkles and ethically-ethnically escapist fantasy. Made with UVI USQ-1, a recreation of the Ensoniq ESQ-1 vintage digital-analog synth.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Mallet Multiverse“, a minimaximalist foray into UVI Beathawk Mallets expansion.
- SOUND DEMOS – Trailer soundtrack for UVI Augmented Piano, the ultimate evolution of prepared piano.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Unzippered Universe” for UVI Meteor. The future of impactful transitions, distributed dramatically.
- PRODUCT – As part of Sansar Studios experience creators, collaborated with Intel and Warner Bros. on their virtual CES booth feat. Ready Player One.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Splash Damage Mountain” for UVI SubCulture. Let the bass drop, rock & roll!
- SOUNDSCAPE – Slow Motion, a generative tribute to the musicality of Vangelis.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Experimental Weapons Division” for UVI Nagoya Harp. Does it get any more cyberpunk chic than an electrified Japanese harp with typewriter keys?
- SOUNDSCAPE – 88 Keys, a journey into the heart of two pianos across a distance. A blissful collaboration with myNoise.
- SOUND DEMOS – “The Awe Wave (for Suzanne Ciani)” for UVI OB Legacy, a floaty arp-driven tribute to Tom Oberheim’s iconic synths.
- PRODUCT – Sansar, the best way to create and share social VR experiences, opened on July 31. As part of an awesome team, I did the UI sounds, Sansar Studios soundscapes, and music.
- SOUND DEMOS – “I AXed You Nicely” for UVI UVX80… 1980s cult VHS horror vibe adventures into a baroque danceable future…
- SOUND DEMOS – Trippy tracks (1|2|3|4) for Surreal Machines plugins, including Glitch Piano Dub Machines.
- SOUNDSCAPE – Twin Black Lodges, an eerie jaunt inspired by Twin Peaks, is my second collaboration with myNoise‘s sinister ambience generator.
- SOUND DEMOS – A trio showing off the 90s synth fun of Fizmo, K5000S, and JD-800/990 in UVI’s Digital Synsations Vol 2.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Layered Cloud Consciousness” & “Theme Park After Dark” for the lush UVI Atmospherics for Falcon pack.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Polyphonic Colorscapes” in support of the analogue tribute that is UVI UVS-3200.
- SOUNDSCAPE – Nocturnion, a drifting journey into the interstellar cosmos, is my first collaboration with myNoise‘s relaxing ambience generator.
- SOUND DEMOS – REPRODEDUCTIONS is 11 tracks deeply exploring the performance possibilities of u-He Repro-1.
- SOUND DEMOS – “TimeCubed” in support of the spacetime journey that is UVI Ether Fields.
- SOUNDS – Noiiz sounds platform is live. Special features like plugin integrations and random buttons. I beta tested.
Now I can say I’ve had that experience. Flashback to a record store in 1997 — some 20+ years ago, when I asked my Mom if I could pick out several CDs. She found objections to some of the cover art, but was otherwise agreeable and supportive. I had just sailed past the...
You never outgrow the things you love — more specifically, the unfinished questions from childhood and youth that live on, as recurring motifs throughout the rest of your life. My first “serious” synthesizer was an Alesis QS8. Over recent months, incrementally (and...
There’s a lot of bad advice about electronic musicmaking out there. Facade trash that seems like it should be worthwhile, but apply a little oil-o’-critical-thinking and it falls apart like a cheap suit. Here’s one: “It doesn’t matter what you use, it matters how you...
Writing about music really is like dancing about architecture, and Frank Zappa's observation remains lucidly correct. I continue to wrestle with the "right" words to describe what I do: sometimes I choose those terms because of a pleasant alliteration, or because I...