Listen to these (mostly) short sound stories with massive melodies and vibrant arrangements. I’ve discovered them from alternate realities, in an ongoing research project to expand the edges of expressive electronic music.
What have I been creating?
- SOUND DEMOS – “Blood Pain Rain” and “Cinematic Synthwave Explosion” showing off Luftrum 19 for Repro-5.
- SOUNDSCAPE – Now Loading… a hypnotic collaboration with myNoise that recalls video game progress screens.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Here Come Our Drums“, 100% made with sounds from UVI Drum Designer, including the melodies.
- MIXTAPE – #LofiHiphop style!
- SOUND DEMOS – Eight tracks made with Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5‘s Hardware Library. Loads of fun, color, analogue style gone wild. Many iconic synthspirations assembled, using space and time as a horsewhip.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Devining Rod” for UVI Devinity trailer, featuring sounds by Richard Devine. An edited version was used in the promo trailer.
- SOUND DEMOS – “String Machine Theory“, a most triumphant arrangement spanning the history of synthesized strings, featuring UVI String Machines 2.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Lush Eighteen” – “45 presets & multis used and weaved into a stunning composition with 100% all Luftrum 18 sounds.” to show off this collaboration between Luftrum + Arksun.
- EDUCATION – “Intel and the Smithsonian American Art Museum Power Education through Immersive Virtual Reality” in Sansar. Composed the piano music and produced the video.
- SOUND DEMOS – Preset showcase demo’ing 39 of 100 new sounds for super synth UVI Falcon 1.5.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Audacious Illuminator“, full of anime/J-Pop sparkles and ethically-ethnically escapist fantasy. Made with UVI USQ-1, a recreation of the Ensoniq ESQ-1 vintage digital-analog synth.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Mallet Multiverse“, a minimaximalist foray into UVI Beathawk Mallets expansion.
- SOUND DEMOS – Trailer soundtrack for UVI Augmented Piano, the ultimate evolution of prepared piano.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Unzippered Universe” for UVI Meteor. The future of impactful transitions, distributed dramatically.
- PRODUCT – As part of Sansar Studios experience creators, collaborated with Intel and Warner Bros. on their virtual CES booth feat. Ready Player One.
- SOUND DEMOS – “Splash Damage Mountain” for UVI SubCulture. Let the bass drop, rock & roll!
Now I can say I’ve had that experience. Flashback to a record store in 1997 — some 20+ years ago, when I asked my Mom if I could pick out several CDs. She found objections to some of the cover art, but was otherwise agreeable and supportive. I had just sailed past the...
You never outgrow the things you love — more specifically, the unfinished questions from childhood and youth that live on, as recurring motifs throughout the rest of your life. My first “serious” synthesizer was an Alesis QS8. Over recent months, incrementally (and...
There’s a lot of bad advice about electronic musicmaking out there. Facade trash that seems like it should be worthwhile, but apply a little oil-o’-critical-thinking and it falls apart like a cheap suit. Here’s one: “It doesn’t matter what you use, it matters how you...
Writing about music really is like dancing about architecture, and Frank Zappa's observation remains lucidly correct. I continue to wrestle with the "right" words to describe what I do: sometimes I choose those terms because of a pleasant alliteration, or because I...